X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigElephant
    Registered Elephant
    • Oct 2024

Minor PS6 leaks/info, plus some PS5 pro info

Article was paywalled for me, so for those who don't have ublock origin element blocker, cliffs:

- New report about PS5 pro/PS6 came out recently
    - PS5 is roughly halfway through its life cycle, which would put PS6 release in 2028 or at the earliest 2027; looks like ScramFranklin was right
    - Sony is in talks with both AMD and Intel deciding who will provide the chips. It's believed that Sony and Intel couldn't agree on pricing and profit sharing, but an Intel rep has denied those claims
    - Sony wants PS6 to be backwards compatible, so AMD would be the better choice for that since both PS4 and PS5 run on AMD.
    - PS5 pro will launch November 7 and offer 3 areas of improvement: bigger GPU, advanced ray tracing, and AI driven upscaling.
    - GPU of PS5 pro will provide up to 45% faster rendering thanks to 67% more compute units and 28% faster memory
    - "Advanced ray tracing" will provide more dynamic reflection and refraction of light, which allows rays to be cast at double and sometimes triple the speed of current PS5
    - AI upscaling intended to provide super sharp image clarity and high levels of detail
    See Krackerjacked's sig
  • Optimus
    • Oct 2024

OK that tells us nothing.

How tf wouldn't it be back compat? It's just a gimped PC.

Comment

• BigElephant
      Registered Elephant
      • Oct 2024

Originally posted by Optimus
      OK that tells us nothing.

How tf wouldn't it be back compat? It's just a gimped PC.
      Article said it would be "more difficult" to make it back compatible if they used Intel
      See Krackerjacked's sig

Comment

• Islandboyo
        • Oct 2024

release the Pro and then release a new console 2-3 years after doesn't sit well with me.

My biggest issue with this gen has first and foremost been the lack of games. If there were games I wanted to play, I would 100% buy the pro to have the best possible experience.

As of now the only games I'm looking forward to are Monster Hunter and MGS. Which is honestly pretty sad.

Comment

• Optimus
          • Oct 2024

Originally posted by Islandboyo
          release the Pro and then release a new console 2-3 years after doesn't sit well with me.

My biggest issue with this gen has first and foremost been the lack of games. If there were games I wanted to play, I would 100% buy the pro to have the best possible experience.

As of now the only games I'm looking forward to are Monster Hunter and MGS. Which is honestly pretty sad.
          Looks like going forward the best bet is to skip the base consoles and just wait for the pros.

Comment

• Visel
            • Sep 2024

PC mustardrace.

PS5 Pro at $700 USD or $800 EUR is insanity srs. MAYBE if you're still on that PS4 time, or you don't have a PlayStation at all. But if they're trying to convince current PS5 owners to drop $700 + separate costs for disk drive, extra storage, etc. I don't think it'll sell well. MAYBE if you are a PSVR enthusiast (AKA VR on a console budget as opposed to a better headset on a better system like a PC - in that case are you even a VR enthusiast???), since the extra GPU performance will make more of an impact for PSVR performance.

The wiser move is to go PS5 -> PS6, save your money, your games will be fine on a 4K TV most likely (especially with performance mode). And if you're a PC gamer, you're probably only buying a PS5 in the first place just for the "exclusives" (AKA PlayStation games that launch on PS5 and then come to PC 2 years later anyway).

Comment

• Gaylord_Osmosis
              • Oct 2024

I regret buying a PS5, there are no real games this generation. everything is patches for playstation 4 games. oh look partial ray tracing at 30 fps slapped on a PS4 game. who cares. or look performance mode of a ps4 game at 60fps with internal 1200p resolution upscaled

Comment

Working...