Clear All
  • MajorTendonitis
    63 YO oldcel
    • Sep 2024
    • BC Canada
    • Manlet
    • Bout 350

Home gym build progress

Hey all , just thought I’d start a thread regarding my home gym upgrades . Still working on stereo upgrades at this time . Will post as things progress .
    Because there’s very poor access behind the stereo , I mounted a linear actuator to move the stereo out in case I need access in the future .

ipad cabinet installed , but I’m building another one as I’d prefer if the iPad would extend out for better access . Will be working on that tomorrow hopefully

Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 10-01-2024, 03:07 AM.
    Glad to be back with my fam
  • TokenV
    I ❤️ TECHNO
    • Sep 2024
    • Belgium

looking good goodlooking Misc

also lolled @ the Enya EDM mix

Comment

• fuzzy
      🍆 🍆 🍆 🍆 🍆 🍆
      • Sep 2024

fuck yeah bruh, very keen to see this progress

Comment

• EireGunner
        ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
        • Sep 2024

Neat

Comment

• RustledJimmies
          Alpha Pupper
          • Sep 2024

Mirin' srs. Will follow closely

Comment

• Scrilla
            The People's Mod
            • Sep 2024
            • Worst Case Ontario

Mirin brah. I just added a TRX and bolted some power rack uprights to a wall to use as storage for my rack accessories. Everytime I think my home gym is done I think of something else to add lol
            New Misc Merch now available!
            https://newmisc.myspreadshop.com/

Comment

• winston1156
              • Sep 2024

Neat. Ventilation?

Comment

• lockdev
                • Sep 2024
                • Virginia. srs.

Mirin. srs.
                Misc Entrepreneur Crew

Comment

• Big_Nik
                  Five Star Man
                  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                  • Sep 2024
                  • Arizona

Sweet!

Comment

• MajorTendonitis
                    63 YO oldcel
                    • Sep 2024
                    • BC Canada
                    • Manlet
                    • Bout 350

Originally posted by winston1156
                    Neat. Ventilation?

Yes . It took me all day trying to build a template to fit 120mm fans perfectly. Normally it would be easy ,as you just box it in with 1/2” mdf and use the appropriate router bit to make a copy ,but because the radius of the fan is so tight , I had to do it another way using a bushing under the router plate and a 1/8” bit . Worked out perfect though , as I didn’t even have to use glue or screws as the fans are basically pressure fit .
                    The two side fans have filters on them , as they are bringing in air ,but the top ones don’t have filters as there exhausting air . I also have a temperature controller to turn the fans off and on . Was going to use the usb power on the back of the Denon receiver,but I didn’t want them turning off immediately when the receiver was off . Too boot I found out the usb power is not switched either , it’s always on

Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 10-01-2024, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• MajorTendonitis
                      63 YO oldcel
                      • Sep 2024
                      • BC Canada
                      • Manlet
                      • Bout 350

I suspect most of the members here have seen my gym setup , but I’ll post anyways. Everything yellow is now orange . These are old pics and need to be updated once I get everything done

Comment

• thaifoon90
                        • Sep 2024

mirin hard
                        +Positive Crew+
                        Winter Arc Crew

Comment

• Getter_done
                          • Sep 2024

Always mirin brah!

Comment

• MajorTendonitis
                            63 YO oldcel
                            • Sep 2024
                            • BC Canada
                            • Manlet
                            • Bout 350

Originally posted by Getter_done
                            Always mirin brah!
                            thanks everyone, srs you guys give the enthusiasm to getter done .

Making some progress . Test fitting cabinets , the top shelf on the left cabinet underneath the stereo is dedicated to storing remotes for the stereo ,tv etc , and the top shelf on the right cabinet below the iPad is where I’ll keep my knee wraps , gloves etc.
                            I was going to paint the shelves but srs I like the wood look to break it up a bit . The bad news I have to replace the shelf on the right enclosure, as I just noticed the grain is wrong . Originally that wouldn’t have mattered with paint ,but it does in this case .
                            I seen some really sick looking orange wood stain today in Windsor Plywood. I never even knew they made such a thing , so I may end up trying the stain.
                            The enclosures are just test fitted here . I still have to rebuild the wiring harness for the stereo before I install them permanently. Can’t wait tbh , as next I’ll finally get that beer fridge off the floor and installed .

Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 10-02-2024, 04:19 AM.

Comment

• MajorTendonitis
                              63 YO oldcel
                              • Sep 2024
                              • BC Canada
                              • Manlet
                              • Bout 350

The cabinet for the iPad Pro will be getting rebuilt again . The iPad is secured to a metal stand magnetically .
                              I remove the tablet when I’m getting rinsed , but I’d like to keep it in the cabinet when I’m working out . Although I do find I can see it fine when it’s angled in the cabinet, it would be kind of cool if it extended out 4 inches , so I purchased an actuator with 4 inches of stroke to extend it out of the cabinet .
                              I also purchased some linear rail , as drawer slides were just not gonna cut it in this situation.
                              I’m going to cut a plate out of thick plexiglass to hold the iPad , and put an orange led strip at the back to edge light the front .
                              I also sourced out some magnetic USB C charging cables , as I don’t want to chance damaging the iPads usb c port when it’s extending out in case it gets snagged on something

I bought the wrong linear rail the first time around . It would probably support a small truck. The linear rail below it ,the SBR12 series is what I’ll be using .
                              The linear actuator pictured above is rated for 1 inch per second
                              Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 10-02-2024, 03:52 AM.

Comment

• fuzzy
                                🍆 🍆 🍆 🍆 🍆 🍆
                                • Sep 2024

holly fuck, mirin hard.

Comment

• EireGunner
                                  ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
                                  • Sep 2024

Originally posted by lockdev
                                  Mirin. srs.
                                  Why only one star brah while other mods have 5 or 6?

Why do those kunts have so many when we just opened up?

Comment

• Big Bllrrrd
                                    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                                    • Sep 2024

mirin low drop ceilings rly gives that alpha rape dungeon vibe

Comment

• MajorTendonitis
                                      63 YO oldcel
                                      • Sep 2024
                                      • BC Canada
                                      • Manlet
                                      • Bout 350

Originally posted by Big Bllrrrd
                                      mirin low drop ceilings rly gives that alpha rape dungeon vibe
                                      Yes these old homes suck alright . It’s only 7’ ,but I have no issues as I do overhead seated anyways , much better for my back . Not sure if I’d bother if I could do it all over again unless I had 9’ ceilings though . It’s kind of an unstoppable hobby if anything ,as I like building and designing things

Comment

• Big Bllrrrd
                                        &&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
                                        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by MajorTendonitis
                                        Yes these old homes suck alright . It’s only 7’ ,but I have no issues as I do overhead seated anyways , much better for my back . Not sure if I’d bother if I could do it all over again unless I had 9’ ceilings though . It’s kind of an unstoppable hobby if anything ,as I like building and designing things
                                        wasnt talkin shit srs. im mirin da setup

btw if u tryna match tha orange wit ya wood check out dem fabric stores 4 a bottle of orange rit dye n test some scrap b4 u go round staining everythang wit sum ripoff hardware store shit srs

water based dye cheap as hell and u can dilute it down and keep slatherin coats til it matches tha trim u got. jus seal it wit some poly 2 lock it in. gets sum nice shine n keeps it from fadin on u

Comment

• MajorTendonitis
                                          63 YO oldcel
                                          • Sep 2024
                                          • BC Canada
                                          • Manlet
                                          • Bout 350

Well working on the next iPad cabinet 2.0 today . Cutting a piece of 12mm plexiglass for the table that sits on top of the linear rail blocks . Just testing to see my clearances.
                                          Originally I was going to have the base made of mdf so everything was hidden,but I think plexiglass may make for a cooler look when you can see the linear rail and the actuator. I kind of want the industrial look anyways .

Comment

• MajorTendonitis
                                            63 YO oldcel
                                            • Sep 2024
                                            • BC Canada
                                            • Manlet
                                            • Bout 350

Well I suspected these linear rails would be an issue to cut . I do have a metal chop saw but didn’t want to overheat them so I used my metal cutting bandsaw . Took almost two hours to cut them both , never would have believed it . They’re made of extremely hardened steel obviously, as there for bearing blocks to ride on .
                                            Cut the plexiglass that sits on the bearing blocks and took some measurements and proof of concept .
                                            I’m liking it but think it would be cooler if the iPad was at 90 degrees while retracted , and besides just extending out of the enclosure it would also tilt . I can see away to do it but need to source some decent hinges first .

After I finally got them cut to size . I couldn’t find the exact size online so I was left with cutting them myself .

plexi cut but sides not sanded yet . I don’t like plexiglass polished to a perfectly transparent surface , as it gives the led strip nothing to refract off . Back in my car audio days I found 120 grit sandpaper worked well for the final sanding for edge lighting .

cabinet just sitting in place not glued or air nailed yet as I’m trying to determine angles and proof of concept

Comment

• MajorTendonitis
                                              63 YO oldcel
                                              • Sep 2024
                                              • BC Canada
                                              • Manlet
                                              • Bout 350

So got the plexiglass drilled for the bearing blocks and the sides polished today . I use my belt sander to get the majority of it smooth,as the sides are pretty rough when they come off the table saw . There’s a real knack to that as it’s very easy to melt the plexiglass instead of sand it

Then I finish it off with 240 grit sandpaper on a sanding block . You could go less and less grit till you get it clear,but the problem with that is there’s nothing for the led light to refract off of . I’m almost debating to try 120 grit,as I’m almost thinking 240 is too smooth .
                                              I also need to take a torch to the rear edge of the plexiglass , as I think it may make the edge lighting brighter if I make the rear transparent instead of diffused . There’s a real art to torching plexiglass , ,as it’s not hard to ruin it in a hurry if it burns .

The linear actuator is not connected yet,just checking clearances. I’m going to mount it at the side as I think I may need room for the mounting screws for the other 2” actuator that tilts the iPad as it extends out of the cabinet . Should be here in a few days I hope .

I ended up moving the rear bearing blocks up an inch to see if it would let more light through , as I’m finding the front sides are kind of dim . But this isn’t bad. The LED strip is just taped on for testing . Have to find a way to secure it properly, as the tape it comes with is on the back , and that’s not going to work. Wish I could source some 1/2” channel
                                              The theme of the gym is orange , so I’m going to only use dedicated orange LEDs instead of RBG. I found in the past that RGB do not do orange well

Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 10-08-2024, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• admin
                                                adminbrah
                                                • Sep 2024
                                                • 5'8"
                                                • 160lbs

Fuk brah. Mirin hard. GJDM

I'll probably post my home gym in another thread too. Been out of the game for a while due to moving around a bit but your thread is inspiring. srs

Really liking the acrylic work with the led lights too.

Keep at it brah, looking thick, solid, tight
                                                ForumSentinel 2.0

Comment

• MajorTendonitis
                                                  63 YO oldcel
                                                  • Sep 2024
                                                  • BC Canada
                                                  • Manlet
                                                  • Bout 350

Originally posted by admin
                                                  Fuk brah. Mirin hard. GJDM

I'll probably post my home gym in another thread too. Been out of the game for a while due to moving around a bit but your thread is inspiring. srs

Really liking the acrylic work with the led lights too.

Keep at it brah, looking thick, solid, tight
                                                  Thanks bruh appreciate the positive energy . I come from a car audio background, so edge lighting has always been a thing for me .

Speaker pods I scratch built for my square body , and the beginning of the amp rack b4 fiberglass

Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 10-08-2024, 09:31 PM.

Comment

• naich
                                                    ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                                                    • Oct 2024

Wood pay $29.95/month.

Comment

• MajorTendonitis
                                                      63 YO oldcel
                                                      • Sep 2024
                                                      • BC Canada
                                                      • Manlet
                                                      • Bout 350

Srs when Covid hit I had people come out of the wood work all wanting to use my gym . My buddies son had just sold all his stuff and then Covid hit . Fk em , maybe some young sloot ,but that’s where I draw the line

Originally posted by naich
                                                      Wood pay $29.95/month.

Comment

• SpeakethTruth
                                                        Pronouns: bro/brah/breh
                                                        ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                                                        • Oct 2024

Mirin handyman skills.

Comment

• MajorTendonitis
                                                          63 YO oldcel
                                                          • Sep 2024
                                                          • BC Canada
                                                          • Manlet
                                                          • Bout 350

Originally posted by SpeakethTruth
                                                          Mirin handyman skills.
                                                          Thanks bruh . I love tinkering and also being creative . I had a Turbo TransAm back in the 80’s . Mine was rare as it had the turbo light delete option which left me with a unbasterdized bezel .
                                                          I took it out and drilled 15 holes in it and installed red leds . I found a circuit in an electronics book that when built would scan all the leds back and forth . I installed an ultrasonic motion sensor for a car alarm and hooked it up to the scanning lights . It was good for lols watching people get close to the car and all the sudden the hood would start scanning .
                                                          one guy was like “ holy fk that things got some wicked alarm in it “
                                                          Actually it was just an Alpine alarm , but the scanning hood made for a cool effect

Comment

• DrewDarden
                                                            @midsouthpower
                                                            • Oct 2024

I always thought yours was of the most aesthetic home gyms. More of a commercial gym feel. Mine is more of a dungeon feel. They both have their place.

Comment

• MajorTendonitis
                                                              63 YO oldcel
                                                              • Sep 2024
                                                              • BC Canada
                                                              • Manlet
                                                              • Bout 350

Originally posted by DrewDarden
                                                              I always thought yours was of the most aesthetic home gyms. More of a commercial gym feel. Mine is more of a dungeon feel. They both have their place.
                                                              Yours is much better imo . I had to deal with the shortcomings of being in my basement. A garage build would be absolutely sick , practically no limits . Next lifetime I guess

Comment

• MajorTendonitis
                                                                63 YO oldcel
                                                                • Sep 2024
                                                                • BC Canada
                                                                • Manlet
                                                                • Bout 350

Well the new 2” actuator showed up today . I like the sound better than the 4” actuator,as it sounds more James Bondish . I’m just testing angles etc before I duplicate it out of plexiglass. I managed to get that magnetic stand apart , as I only wanted the face plate that the iPad latches onto . Just double sided taped it for testing .

sound of the 4” actuator. Less James Bondish

I want the stand to be at 45 degrees when it comes out . I don’t want it vertical when it’s retracted ,but I did want less of an angle when it’s in storage so it’s easier to see

Last edited by MajorTendonitis; 10-10-2024, 11:29 PM.

Comment

• Getter_done
                                                                  Registered User
                                                                  • Sep 2024

Mirin brah!

Comment

• MajorTendonitis
                                                                    63 YO oldcel
                                                                    • Sep 2024
                                                                    • BC Canada
                                                                    • Manlet
                                                                    • Bout 350

Originally posted by Getter_done
                                                                    Mirin brah!
                                                                    Thx bruh , fun goofed and started over as 4 inches want enough , so ordered a 6 inch actuator. Had to recut the plexiglass as I’d have holes exposed where I didn’t want them .
                                                                    Then I used my dado blade and came up with a good solution for the led strip . I got it fitting perfectly,but not sure how to secure. May cut a small piece as a plug to pressure fit .

Comment

Working...