Does cutting weight slowly help retain more muscle?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drop40lbs
    • Sep 2024

Does cutting weight slowly help retain more muscle?

182lbs rn, goal weight is 155lbs

My diet has been to eat mostly whole foods but fairly liberal besides that. I've been eating lots of fatty healthy foods like bacon, whole eggs, avocados, etc to not crash my hormones and strength in da gym.

Anyways, does it make sense to do this slow cut or will my strength/hormones crash anyways when I achieve my goal weight so it's better to just cut fast af?
  • LargePeter
    • Sep 2024

My past methods were to rip the fat off as quick as possible so you don't have to diet long term - aggressive cut with minimal fat for a couple weeks, not feeding the body what it's trying to shed, and kept protein high. I'd drop some muscle mass, but not huge amounts. Strength was a casualty.

Last cut I did the same but on 200mg/week test and 50mg/day anavar for the first 8 weeks. Maintained all strength and dropped like 300g muscle mass over 12 weeks according to body comp analysis.
    RAW DOG CREW LIEUTENANT
    PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP CREW
    MUSTANG CREW
    PISS IN SINK CREW
    SHIT IN SHOWER CREW
    MISCERS WHO LIFT CREW

Comment

• thaifoon90
      • Sep 2024

It will come off fast at first (water).. once you stabilize I like to lose 1lb/week. If you eat enough protein you'll keep your muscle.
      +Positive Crew+
      Winter Arc Crew

Comment

• rectifryer
        ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
        • Sep 2024

Originally posted by LargePeter
        My past methods were to rip the fat off as quick as possible so you don't have to diet long term - aggressive cut with minimal fat for a couple weeks, not feeding the body what it's trying to shed, and kept protein high. I'd drop some muscle mass, but not huge amounts. Strength was a casualty.

Last cut I did the same but on 200mg/week test and 50mg/day anavar for the first 8 weeks. Maintained all strength and dropped like 300g muscle mass over 12 weeks according to body comp analysis.
        yeah that works when you're enhanced.

I've perfectly dialed in a diet to lose 3 lbs a week, 1700 cals a day of fish, chicken, and greens and lost a LOT of strength in just two weeks.

The best option for natties is to do LISS cardio. I assume op is natty since he talks about hormones crashing, which wouldn't be an issue for saucy boys.

Comment

• Drop40lbs
          • Sep 2024

Originally posted by rectifryer

yeah that works when you're enhanced.

I've perfectly dialed in a diet to lose 3 lbs a week, 1700 cals a day of fish, chicken, and greens and lost a LOT of strength in just two weeks.

The best option for natties is to do LISS cardio. I assume op is natty since he talks about hormones crashing, which wouldn't be an issue for saucy boys.
          yes, am natty

Originally posted by thaifoon90
          It will come off fast at first (water).. once you stabilize I like to lose 1lb/week. If you eat enough protein you'll keep your muscle.
          i'm down nearly 40lbs this year so far past that water weight phase

kept protein intake about the same throughout and just cut the carbs/fats and still losing tons of strength RIP

neva bet against bloat i guess

Comment

• SmithMachineGuy
            • Sep 2024

I would think the opposite. A prolonged state of caloric deficit is probably bad for muscle sparing.
            Go on a cut, then go on a maintenance phase to get used to it. Then go on a cut again. Repeat that cycle until you get close to where you want to be.

Comment

• thaifoon90
              • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Drop40lbs

yes, am natty

i'm down nearly 40lbs this year so far past that water weight phase

kept protein intake about the same throughout and just cut the carbs/fats and still losing tons of strength RIP

neva bet against bloat i guess
              yeah what ^^ said. if it's been awhile of restricting you should eat more carbs and maintain for a bit before going back down
              +Positive Crew+
              Winter Arc Crew

Comment

• Drop40lbs
                • Sep 2024

Originally posted by SmithMachineGuy
                I would think the opposite. A prolonged state of caloric deficit is probably bad for muscle sparing.
                Go on a cut, then go on a maintenance phase to get used to it. Then go on a cut again. Repeat that cycle until you get close to where you want to be.
                this is basically what i've been doing, albeit non-intentionally

cutting 5-7lbs, maintain/rebound 1-3lbs then go into another mini-cut 5-7lbs, repeat

Comment

• rectifryer
                  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                  • Sep 2024

Originally posted by SmithMachineGuy
                  It fucking is man! You have to cut slowly and break it up in periods like you say. I can cut about 4 months before it's pointless. That means I can cut about 20lbs at a time without an impact to muscle loss, which I'm not mad about. No need to be in a hurry I guess.
                  Last edited by rectifryer; Yesterday, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Working...