X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OneLegSquats
    Platinum Member
    • Sep 2024

Any MTBers here? Armour/protection

So I'm getting my Vitus Nucleus VRS ready for the trails. So far I've fit some mudguards, bottle cage, put some Schrader adaptors over the Presta valves (I hate Presta srs), fit a quadlock, set the sag in the air fork, lubed the chain and waxed the bike and fit some Nukeproof metal studded pedals. Also put on a tail pack with multi tool, tire levers, puncture repair etc.
    Clothing wise I've just got some basic gloves and a helmet but after hearing so many horror stories of broken bones, I feel like some protection is needed before sending it. MTB specific armour costs the earth so is there any decent cheaper alternative to protect knees/shin/elbows?
  • Cuminmebro
    Master Inseminator
    • Oct 2024

How much biking experience do you have in general? MTB is inherently risky, knee and elbow pads will prevent dings and cuts but if you smack a tree at 20mph they aren't going to save you when you break your collarbone. I say get out there and get experience at this point, building up your skills and intuition is worth more to you at this point than pads. You got the basics covered so go out there and slay some green trails. If you were to get any pads, id do knee first. More than likely you will bang those up first and foremost. To put it in lifting terms, would you recommend a belt, straps, ammonia, cell tech, ect to someone just getting into lifting? Or would you tell them to just get into the gym and start working out? That's the gist here.

Comment

• Scrilla
      The People's Mod
      • Sep 2024
      • Worst Case Ontario

You can get the honeycomb elbow and knee sleeves basketball players wear. They're a pretty cheap alternative
      New Misc Merch now available!
      https://newmisc.myspreadshop.com/

Comment

• Optimus
        • Oct 2024

I've never seen anyone wear pads on the trails.

Just wear a helmet and don't crash.

Comment

• OneLegSquats
          Platinum Member
          • Sep 2024

Bruh I'm watching this MTB noob attempt some trails and fk me I'm gonna be just like this guy aren't I? Pathetic

Comment

• OneLegSquats
            Platinum Member
            • Sep 2024

Originally posted by Cuminmebro
            How much biking experience do you have in general? MTB is inherently risky, knee and elbow pads will prevent dings and cuts but if you smack a tree at 20mph they aren't going to save you when you break your collarbone. I say get out there and get experience at this point, building up your skills and intuition is worth more to you at this point than pads. You got the basics covered so go out there and slay some green trails. If you were to get any pads, id do knee first. More than likely you will bang those up first and foremost. To put it in lifting terms, would you recommend a belt, straps, ammonia, cell tech, ect to someone just getting into lifting? Or would you tell them to just get into the gym and start working out? That's the gist here.
            I've rode a motorbike for over a decade so I understand how countersteering works and how body position affects grip. However some dude on another forum said you ride a MTB opposite to how you'd ride a motorbike. I.E. on a motorbike you lean your body into the turn to reduce the lean angle on the tyres to keep more grip. Apparently on a MTB you don't do that, instead you lean with the bike in other words keep your body in line with the frame and maybe stick a leg out if it's sketchy. Might take some getting used to.
            I've done a lot of road riding in the past too on a roadbike but nothing offroad.

Comment

• Cuminmebro
              Master Inseminator
              • Oct 2024

Originally posted by OneLegSquats

I've rode a motorbike for over a decade so I understand how countersteering works and how body position affects grip. However some dude on another forum said you ride a MTB opposite to how you'd ride a motorbike. I.E. on a motorbike you lean your body into the turn to reduce the lean angle on the tyres to keep more grip. Apparently on a MTB you don't do that, instead you lean with the bike in other words keep your body in line with the frame and maybe stick a leg out if it's sketchy. Might take some getting used to.
              I've done a lot of road riding in the past too on a roadbike but nothing offroad.
              The fact that you have some experience will help you, even if it is not in the MTB sorta application. I say get out on a green trail and see how it goes, I have a feeling that you will be just fine. If you go to sanctioned trails, you will have the signage to help you along. If you go to un-sanctioned trails, I would just take some time to make sure the route you are on is cleared and there are no features that are mandatory (Big gaps, drops, jumps, ect). Get out there and shred broski.,

Comment

Working...