X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fate0311
    ⭐⭐
    • Oct 2024

I have a BSME and can't land an interview

Don't go to college. Work in a trade. The system is boken.
  • Godfrd
    Slava Ukranus
    • Oct 2024
    • Falls Church, VA

"boken", I think that's your problem right there.

Comment

• wincel
      Incel Inside
      • Sep 2024
      • Soviet Union

Go get your FE and PE to distinguish urself.
      Death to all genocidal fascists. Glory to the revolution! Glory to the workers!

Comment

• Cuminmebro
        Master Inseminator
        • Oct 2024

How much experience do you have and in what field? I have had pretty damn good success looking for a job and I have a BSME. I have ~10 years of experience with R&D scale-up and chemical processes. I probably put in 100-125 job applications, got 30-40 call backs, 20ish 1st rounds, 10 2nd rounds and 4 offers. This was over the span of approximately 5 or so months. If you are not getting hits on your resume, think about changing it up. Focus on your accomplishments and impact.

Comment

• Omnivium
          ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
          • Sep 2024

Can confirm, nobody gives a shit about your piece of paper even if it's a legit engineering degree. All they care about is work experience which college prevents you from getting for 4 years

Comment

• fate0311
            ⭐⭐
            • Oct 2024

Originally posted by Cuminmebro
            How much experience do you have and in what field? I have had pretty damn good success looking for a job and I have a BSME. I have ~10 years of experience with R&D scale-up and chemical processes. I probably put in 100-125 job applications, got 30-40 call backs, 20ish 1st rounds, 10 2nd rounds and 4 offers. This was over the span of approximately 5 or so months. If you are not getting hits on your resume, think about changing it up. Focus on your accomplishments and impact.
            Resume is good. It isn't textbook STAR method. My background is in test and evaluation so it is exploratory work. Harder to quantify accomplishments when my focus has essentially been trying to break things and then assessing the failure points. It's hard to explain but test engineering is a tough one to put on a resume sometimes without just listing the tests I did which doesn't help with STAR method.

Personally, I think it's all shit. People just cook numbers quantifying accomplishments and then give some shit explanation if mud checked on it during an interview. If I was hiring an engineer I would want to know what they can do, not how nicely they framed some accomplishment they most likely embellished on the resume.

If I was to try and go back and dig into quantifying what I did, it would require tracking down old colleagues and having a sit down trying to make sense of what we can remember and doing the best we could to quantify it all based off logic. We were never given metrics on any of that shit nor did we pay attention to it.
            Last edited by fate0311; 10-22-2024, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• wincel
              Incel Inside
              • Sep 2024
              • Soviet Union

Originally posted by fate0311

Resume is good. It isn't textbook STAR method. My background is in test and evaluation so it is exploratory work. Harder to quantify accomplishments when my focus has essentially been trying to break things and then assessing the failure points. It's hard to explain but test engineering is a tough one to put on a resume sometimes without just listing the tests I did which doesn't help with STAR method.

Personally, I think it's all shit. People just cook numbers quantifying accomplishments and then give some shit explanation if mud checked on it during an interview. If I was hiring an engineer I would want to know what they can do, not how nicely they framed some accomplishment they most likely embellished on the resume.

If I was to try and go back and dig into quantifying what I did, it would require tracking down old colleagues and having a sit down trying to make sense of what we can remember and doing the best we could to quantify it all based off logic. We were never given metrics on any of that shit nor did we pay attention to it.
              But you're not hiring. You're a brokie. The dude who is hiring is hiring on behalf of a successful company. You haven't sucked enough dick to earn the great privilege of helping them make more money at the expense of your labor. You support Trump. This is what capitalism is buddy. And if you can't find a job, then go apply to Wendy's. No capital = loser = serf. You work to buy things to make rich people richer. Don't ever forget it. You're an insect and will always be an insect.

Just fkin lmao
              Death to all genocidal fascists. Glory to the revolution! Glory to the workers!

Comment

• InsideMane
                😏
                • Sep 2024

Took you this long to figure that out, damn

Think I’m the only one in my company without a degree. I got certs though
                Last edited by InsideMane; 10-22-2024, 07:50 AM.

Comment

• naich
                  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                  • Oct 2024

Whatever you do in your bedroom shouldn't effect your employment, that's fuked up.

Comment

• Cuminmebro
                    Master Inseminator
                    • Oct 2024

If you want me to take a look over your resume for you, send me a PM and scrub it of personal information. Ill give it a look over. I'm not familiar with testing engineers but I am sure there is a way to express your work that appeals to either other test engineer roles or similar positions.

You do need to jump through the hoops for job interviews, especially now that its more of an employers market. How you speak to the screener/recruiter versus manager versus subject matter expert matters. HR/Recruiter holds the keys to the kingdom for the most part, tell them what they want to hear. Any engineer on engineer interview will be easy since you should be able to talk shop and just get to the details, but that's usually one of the last interviews you will do.

Contact those co-workers and figure those numbers out. Learn the lesson and track those metrics yourself in the future, get to know your industry better and what the numbers are. There is a huge difference between "Scaled up a process to commercialization" versus "Scaled up a process to commercialization that produces 8M ft2 of product a year" . I am going to guess for your experience its the difference between "Performed non-destructive testing for a product line" and "Performed non-destructive testing, ensured that the 1.6M units met a quality threshold of 99.4% during production".

Comment

• fate0311
                      ⭐⭐
                      • Oct 2024

If you want me to take a look over your resume for you, send me a PM and scrub it of personal information. Ill give it a look over. I'm not familiar with testing engineers but I am sure there is a way to express your work that appeals to either other test engineer roles or similar positions.

You do need to jump through the hoops for job interviews, especially now that its more of an employers market. How you speak to the screener/recruiter versus manager versus subject matter expert matters. HR/Recruiter holds the keys to the kingdom for the most part, tell them what they want to hear. Any engineer on engineer interview will be easy since you should be able to talk shop and just get to the details, but that's usually one of the last interviews you will do.

Contact those co-workers and figure those numbers out. Learn the lesson and track those metrics yourself in the future, get to know your industry better and what the numbers are. There is a huge difference between "Scaled up a process to commercialization" versus "Scaled up a process to commercialization that produces 8M ft2 of product a year" . I am going to guess for your experience its the difference between "Performed non-destructive testing for a product line" and "Performed non-destructive testing, ensured that the 1.6M units met a quality threshold of 99.4% during production".
                      There is no reason why the following bullet shouldn't suffice on an engineer's resume:

- Performed MPI and FPI testing to identify and monitor areas of stress concentration, facilitating timely design rework and increasing overall testing efficiency

Comment

• monster0ultra
                        • Sep 2024

lol @ how Godfrd keeps pretending that DEI doesn't exist

Comment

• Cuminmebro
                          Master Inseminator
                          • Oct 2024

There is no reason why the following bullet shouldn't suffice on an engineer's resume:

- Performed MPI and FPI testing to identify and monitor areas of stress concentration, facilitating timely design rework and increasing overall testing efficiency
                          That bullet point is fine, but should be under another bullet point that better explains the goal/larger picture at hand.

Comment

• dogkrack
                            • Sep 2024

boomers and their jew pals flooded the country with cheap labor so now natives cannot work.

many such cases

Comment

• Shop of Horrors
                              I walk at night
                              ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
                              • Oct 2024

Looking back I should have got a strong trade or 'career for life' if that even exists. I have done alot of contract work over the years, whereby once the contract is ended you either get transferred to another company many miles away or take redundancy for some extra cash. I have sent out countless applications since September, only had 3 interviews. Got another tomorrow though, so I just got to keep up hope.
                              Former username on old misc was 'maori-rap'

Comment

• fate0311
                                ⭐⭐
                                • Oct 2024

That bullet point is fine, but should be under another bullet point that better explains the goal/larger picture at hand.
                                So tell a story from high->low level (chronologically) over the span of 4-6 bullets? Specific bullets are fine as long as the first couple bullets address the industry/context of what you do on a high level.

Comment

• Gaylord_Osmosis
                                  • Oct 2024

Go in the military

Comment

• RICHSTRONG
                                    • Oct 2024

A BSME, I doubt. More like an IEP you fkn helmet head, window lickin motherfuker

Comment

• Cuminmebro
                                      Master Inseminator
                                      • Oct 2024

So tell a story from high->low level (chronologically) over the span of 4-6 bullets? Specific bullets are fine as long as the first couple bullets address the industry/context of what you do on a high level.
                                      Escientally. As an example, my resume goes as follows:

"Mechanical Engineer Manager" Date Start - End
                                      • Lead a group of engineers and technicians in the development of "Whatever Novel Product" for "Whoever it was". Successfully developed product catalog that passed acceptance for TXDOT and CALDOT construction projects.
                                        • Determined feasibility by investigating and scaling down of existing industrial processes used within industry.
                                          • Developed PFD's, P&ID's, BOMs, 2D Drawings and 3D Models (Solidworks) for in-house test systems that mimicked existing industrial processes.
                                          • Produced Statement of works, scopes and other relevant vendor documentation necessary for electrical and control portions of the project.
                                          • Oversaw in-house mechanical fabrication, construction and commissioning of scaled processes. Developed training material for both technicians and scientists.
                                        • Managed EPC contractor in the scale up R&D process; Capital project budgeted at 40MM. Full scale production (80MT/yr) expected to go online Q4 2024.
                                          • Acted as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for "Whoever it was" - Assisted in the development of mechanical portions of project.
                                          • Provided updates to stakeholders regularly, this included: Executive Team, Board of Directors and Potential Investors.
                                          • Lead safety initiatives included FMEA, HAZOP, and LOTO documentation for full facility.
                                      • Next project I worked on

The details were changed but that is the general outline of how my resume reads. My resume is 1 page (Front and back) and I always include a cover letter. I have about 6 or 7 templates that I developed and I just swap names/titles/companies that I feel would work best. Hope this helps.
                                      Last edited by Cuminmebro; 10-22-2024, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• fate0311
                                        ⭐⭐
                                        • Oct 2024

Escientally. As an example, my resume goes as follows:

"Mechanical Engineer Manager" Date Start - End
                                        • Lead a group of engineers and technicians in the development of "Whatever Novel Product" for "Whoever it was". Successfully developed product catalog that passed acceptance for TXDOT and CALDOT construction projects.
                                          • Determined feasibility by investigating and scaling down of existing industrial processes used within industry.
                                            • Developed PFD's, P&ID's, BOMs, 2D Drawings and 3D Models (Solidworks) for in-house test systems that mimicked existing industrial processes.
                                            • Produced Statement of works, scopes and other relevant vendor documentation necessary for electrical and control portions of the project.
                                            • Oversaw in-house mechanical fabrication, construction and commissioning of scaled processes. Developed training material for both technicians and scientists.
                                          • Managed EPC contractor in the scale up R&D process; Capital project budgeted at 40MM. Full scale production (80MT/yr) expected to go online Q4 2024.
                                            • Acted as the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for "Whoever it was" - Assisted in the development of mechanical portions of project.
                                            • Provided updates to stakeholders regularly, this included: Executive Team, Board of Directors and Potential Investors.
                                            • Lead safety initiatives included FMEA, HAZOP, and LOTO documentation for full facility.
                                        • Next project I worked on

The details were changed but that is the general outline of how my resume reads. My resume is 1 page (Front and back) and I always include a cover letter. I have about 6 or 7 templates that I developed and I just swap names/titles/companies that I feel would work best. Hope this helps.
                                        Interesting. Most would condemn sub-bullets.

Comment

• Cuminmebro
                                          Master Inseminator
                                          • Oct 2024

Interesting. Most would condemn sub-bullets.
                                          First set of bullets are not actually on my resume, I did it just to highlight the points in my reply. I only have 2 sets of bullets on my resume.

Comment

• RocknRollMuscle
                                            ⭐⭐⭐⭐
                                            • Oct 2024

go blame Biden voters.

It's even way worse in Canada. Getting a job offer is seen as a gift now. Every job has 1000 applicants.

weak men create weak times....

Comment

Working...